Section 1

Pre-Arrival - Fall 2017

A few items you should take care of before your arrival on campus:

  1. Net ID and email account

    • New students must claim their NetID in order to set up their university email account. The required university ID Number (UIN) and Activation Code can be obtained by logging into Apply Yourself. Consult the Technology Services website for more detailed instructions on how to claim your NetID.
  2. English Placement Test (EPT)
    The EPT is mandatory of new international students whose TOEFL scores are 610 (paper TOEFL), 253 (computer based TOEFL), 102 (TOEFL iBT) or below inclusive OR have an IELTS score of 6.5 with one or more sub-sections below 6.0.

    • If you are required to take the EPT, registration for fall semester testing should open up in early May.
    • Note that you can only register for the following test dates: August 14, 15, 16, 17, or 18. Do not register for any other dates as they will conflict with orientation and/or academic advising.
  3. Complete McKinley Health Center forms

    By July 1st, all new students must complete and submit an l the Immunization History Form to the McKinley Health Center. International students are also required to complete and bring to campus a TB Screening Form. Both forms are available online at the McKinley Health Center website.

  4. Employment

    All international students who wish to hold employment in the United States must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN).

    F-1 students may accept employment under certain conditions. Consult the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) website for more information.

    All J-1 students must obtain a work authorization letter form their program sponsor prior to beginning any employment in the United States.

    • J-1 students whose DS-2019 was issued by the University of Illinois may obtain this letter from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).
    • J-1 students whose DS-2019 was not issued by the University of Illinois must obtain an eligibility letter from their J-1 program sponsor. It is highly recommended that you request this letter before departing your country.
  5. Sponsor (third party) billing

    A sponsored student is any student whose sponsoring organization (sponsor) requires the University of Illinois to bill them directly for some or all of the student’s tuition, fees, and other authorized charges. Sponsors can be other schools, educational foundations, businesses, or governmental agencies.

    In order to participate in sponsor billing, the student must provide The University Student Financial Services & Cashier Operations (USFSCO) a completedĀ Sponsor Payment Plan (SPP) application AND official notification (Authorization) from their sponsor.

    For more information regarding sponsor billing and the required Sponsor Payment Plan Application, check theĀ Sponsor (Third Party) Billing web site. Note that fall 2017 Authorizations and SPP applications are due by September 8, 2017 (tentative).

  6. Finalize housing arrangements

    Students are expected to complete their housing arrangements before orientation begins. Students have the option of living in university housing (dormitory or apartment) or private housing on or off campus.

    Students should visit the university Housing web site for more information.

    If students have questions or need assistance with housing, please contact the MSPE office. The staff will be happy to assist you.

  7. Bring suitable attire

    Students will participate in enrichment activities throughout the year and are required to wear professional business attire. Alternatively, students may wear their native apparel and are highly encouraged to do so.